Are you ready to shine on the dance floor? Join us at Platinum Dance Competition, where excellence meets expression! Get ready for a dance experience like no other, featuring dazzling solos, dynamic duos, intricate trios, and fierce championships that will leave you breathless.
Witness performances that captivate, inspire, and showcase individual artistry. From contemporary grace to hip-hop energy, every solo tells a unique story. Unleash your competitive spirit in our fierce championship rounds. Dance your heart out for a chance to be crowned Platinum Dancer of the Year!
Expect a day filled with surprises! Our event is not just about competing; it’s about celebrating every dancer.
Our distinguished panel of judges brings unparalleled expertise and passion for dance.
Prepare for a day of dance magic and unforgettable moments!
Are you ready to take centre stage? Join us at Platinum Dance Competition – where every step is a masterpiece!
Venue: Star of the Sea Theatre – Stella Maris Manly
Date: 15th, 16th, 22nd, 23rd June
Age: Age of competitor on June 15th 2024
Age Groups: 6 years & under | 8 years & under | 10 years & under
12 years & under | 14 years & under | 15 years and over
Entries Close: June 1st 2024
Outstanding Awards $15.00
Dancer Registration $38.00
Dancer Registration Fee –
Entrant has not placed 1st in any dance competition prior to entering PLATINUM DANCE COMPETITION.
Entrant has previously placed 1st at a dance competition prior to entering PLATINUM DANCE COMPETITION.
Entrant will dance in level upon registering.
OUTSTANDING COSTUME | CHOREOGRAPHY | TECHNIQUE AWARDS
This award acknowledges outstanding COSTUME | CHOREOGRAPHY and or TECHNIQUE by a dancer. PLATINUM DANCE COMPETITION will present awards to any routine that the judges feel stands out and deserves recognition. Registration is required to qualify for these awards.
This is awarded to the dancer who the judges feel displayed the most outstanding costume.
This is awarded to the dancer and their choreographer(s) who the judges feel displayed the best choreography.
This is awarded to the dancer and their teacher(s) who the judges feel displayed the best choreography.
Music needs to be uploaded in advance of the competition using – Music Uploads. All music should be recorded at proper speed.
FOR EMERGENCY it is advisable to have a duplicate USB.
Time limits set for each Category are as follows:
Solo: 2.5 minutes
Duo/Trio: 3 minutes
Student Choreography: 2 minutes
Improvisation 1 minute
Marks will be deducted from the score for duration exceeding the limit. This is at the discretion of the adjudicators.
NUMBER OF ENTRIES
Entries will be on a first come, first serve basis and will be limited to the amount of performance time available. PLATINUM DANCE COMPETITION reserves the right to add additional competition days or move the competition location due to unforeseen circumstances.
PLATINUM DANCE COMPETITION also bears the right to refuse entries at their discretion. There is no limit to the number of entries a studio or dancer may submit, with the following exceptions – no soloist will compete more than three (3) solos in any single event.
6/u, 8/u, 10/u, 12/u, 14/u, 15/over
Any change in competition days and/or times is at the sole discretion of PLATINUM DANCE COMPETITION and will be determined by the amount of time available at each regional competition. Duos and Trios compete against each other. For Duos/Trios the ages of competitors as of the date of competition must be averaged together. If there is a decimal, round down and drop the decimal.
COMMERCIAL CONTEMPORARY – A routine with the intention of creating popular awareness to popular & current movements used to enhance a more present day contemporary style.
TRADITIONAL CONTEMPORARY – A routine where the movements have arisen from the tradition of this dance style. Primarily teaching the younger generations the history of this art form.
LYRICAL – A routine that is performed to the lyrics or mood of the music.
JAZZ – A routine that utilises jazz technique such as splits, isolation, leaps, etc.
HIP HOP – A dance that consists of the latest street dance style, as seen in current dance videos.
BROADWAY/MUSICAL THEATRE – Any style of dance interpreting a song from Broadway, movie or musical.
ACROBATICS – A routine that contains primarily gymnastic tricks, including, but not limited to walkover, front/back limbers, handstands, headstands, cartwheels,. There should be a blend of gymnastics and dance together.
SONG and DANCE – A routine that combines dancing and singing. This is a vocal routine…lead vocals may not be lip synched and may have back up vocal accompaniment only
BALLET: Classical & Demi-Character – A routine consisting of classical steps & ballet technique. Ballet shoes must be worn
VARIETY: Any style – A routine that is a combination of any of the other categories; a routine that does not exactly fit any of the definitions of any other category.
TAP: Fast and slow – A routine utilising tap technique and must be performed with tap shoes only.
STUDENT CHOREOGRAPHY: 10/u, 12/u, 14/u, 15/o – Must be produced by the student with no teacher assistance.
IMPROVISATION: Lyrical, Jazz, Contemporary, Hip Hop. Competitors to wear a plain leotard.
To qualify for championships, competitors must enter and dance in the following PLATINUM Sections.
1 Jazz & 1 either Hop Hop or Broadway Jazz
Classical Ballet Championship
1 Classical & 1 Demi Character
1 Fast & 1 Slow
1 Contemporary & 1 Lyrical
What you need to dance to qualify for Championships
Repeats are permitted from Solo sections
1 Jazz & 1 Broadway Jazz or Hip Hop
Classical Ballet Championship
1 classical & 1 Demi Character
1 Slow/Medium Tap & 1 Fast Tap or Waltz
1 contemporary & 1 Lyrical
• There are no refunds, except if a section or the event is cancelled.
• Any entries received after the closing date will incur a $20.00 per entry late fee and handled accordingly. PLATINUM DANCE COMPETITION also bears the right to refuse the entry of any studio at their discretion.
• All competitors and spectators enter at their own risk. No responsibility will be taken for any accident, injury, or loss of property. This also applies to property on the grounds of the venue including motor vehicle.
• A highly qualified panel of judges will judge each entry and their decisions will be final. Contacting or speaking to judges is strictly prohibited atall time in order to give a fair chance to all participants.
• Restarts. A competitor who commences performing and stops will be permitted to performing at end of section. Competitor will receive a report only and not be eligible for a placing.
• Props and/or sets must be set up and removed as quickly as possible. Make sure there is enough people setting the props to ensure it is done within the 2-minute total time limit for setting and striking props on the stage. No person setting props should wear a studio T- shirt or jacket. Students should not set props.
• All competitors will be required to confirm their attendance with the backstage manager 1 hour prior to scheduled program time.
• Adjudicators decision is final. There is to be no communication with the adjudicator except for the offical staff at PLATINUM DANCE EVENT.
• Any section containing more than 20 competitors may be divided into parts A and B depending on the number in attendance on the day. If insufficient numbers in a section, the organiser reserves the right to amend, combine, or cancel sections at their discretion.
• No competitor is permitted to wear tap shoes inside the venue. This rule will be strictly enforced.
• Pointe shoes are not to be worn by competitors under 12 years of age.
• The use of videos, cameras and mobile phone photography is STRICTLY NOT PERMITTED and may lead to a competitor being disqualified. Teachers, please advise parents of this restriction. An official photographer and videographer will be available to record your dances for a fee.
• All rubbish and items must be removed from the venue and change rooms when you leave. Please leave change rooms and hall in the clean and tidy condition in which they were found.
• No smoking is permitted anywhere on school grounds.
• Entrants must arrive 1 hr prior to scheduled time. PLATINUM DANCE COMPETITION reserves the right to run up to ONE hour early & therefore it is a good idea to arrive early in case this may be the case. PLATINUM DANCE COMPETITION holds no responsibility if you miss your event due to event running ahead of schedule.
• PLATINUM DANCE COMPETITION expects all studios that participate in events to maintain a high moral standard, keep a positive attitude, and encouraging nature.
• We promote an environment of positive energy and growth of the students.
• PLATINUM DANCE COMPETITION does not have a set schedule. Schedules are formatted based on the number and type of entries received to best serve the majority of participants. We do not have this breakdown until all of the entries have been processed. We do this so we can try to have all the days end at a reasonable time, especially Sundays, when students have school the next day. We would rather go later Saturday and let everyone leave earlier on Sunday. This would not necessarily be possible if we followed a pre-determined schedule.
• Schedules are available via https://www.comps-online.com.au/ 10-days prior to each event.
• There will be an Accommodation Fee for any special requests – emailed. Once the schedule is created, NO STUDIO, TEACHER, OR PARENT may request a performance to be re-scheduled. We highly recommend that studios be flexible and be able to perform at any point during the competition weekend. Be advised that we DO NOT split up divisional categories. Please be realistic with requests and take into consideration that your request may conflict with others and may not be accommodated. There are no refunds for conflicts that cannot be accommodated.
• Upon entering the PLATINUM DANCE COMPETITION, it is agreed that all students, parents, relatives and teachers will not hold the PLATINUM DANCE COMPETITION, staff, directors, or the host facilities responsible for any injury or loss of property during the event.
• All participants give their permission for any photograph or video taken of them by PLATINUM DANCE COMPETITION to be used in promotion. This includes ads, website, social media, newsletters, brochures and any other form of marketing both print and digital on behalf of PLATINUM DANCE COMPETITION.
• PLATINUM DANCE COMPETITION promotes a family-geared environment. Routines that are seductive, contain explicit lyrics, and suggestive material could result in substantial point deductions. We expect all entries to be appropriate for family viewing. We also expect all parents, teachers, & dancers to use good moral character and values at the competition. We encourage good sportsmanship!!!
• PLATINUM DANCE COMPETITION philosophy: Competition is not about “beating out others” but improving yourselves, appreciating what you have learned and acknowledging others accomplishments, everything else is icing on the cake!